Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Day 2

I'm going to try to use this as a record of what we get done daily, so it may be a bit dry. I'll try not to make it as boring as the 95 Theses though.

~She is now on Lesson 8 in the math book and can't get enough of it. I figure her enthusiasm may slow down later on, so I don't mind her getting a bit ahead right now. It'll give us wiggle room if we need it in a few months or get caught up in other topics.
~We are in the middle of chapter 4 in The Boxcar Children. Same situation there.
~We've read some poetry this morning: "hello and good-by" and also some Mother Goose rhymes. Little Bo Peep (I wrote Poop at first, whoops) and that has more verses than I remember, by the way. We also read Little Boy Blue and Rain.
~more Martin Luther discussion and she's actually starting to get into it a bit. She wanted to get out the map and have me show her where Rome is and how far from his hometown in Germany that would be if they made him go there for his trial, and we talked about how it took much longer to get places without the modern transportation we have now.
~We also worked on her Book of Time. I can't say enough good things about this. Even if you don't use Sonlight, I think every kid should have this book. It makes time much more concrete for her. It comes with stickers for all the major events and people we'll be discussing this year, so we put in Adam and Eve, Martin Luther, and a bunch of family birthdays and anniversaries so she can see how it all fits together. She had no idea how many years ago ML's birthday was (1483) until she had to turn SO MANY pages backward from her birthday to put his sticker in.

The only thing we haven't done for today's work is read the bible story. Pages 12-16- I'm not sure what story it is. I think maybe Noah's Ark. And then I'm sure we'll work with the Book of Time some more because there's a sticker for that too.

She asked me today why it takes so long for everybody else to do school and have to be there all day when we get finished so quick. :) She's catching on already.

2 comments:

shoeaddict said...

I have so many questions.

One being, will you move here to teach my kids??

What did you tell her about it taking everybody else so long?

Kate said...

That Book of Time is pretty darn cool. And I love how there's so much that you talked about with ML--geography and transportation, etc.

As a former homeschooler, hooray for being able to get ahead when you're in a groove or doing something you love. No need to wait on anyone else.