Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Fall Break

When I got the Sonlight box, one of the recommendations was to sit down with the calendar at the beginning of the year and plan out when you were going to be on vacation. It's a 36 week school year, but I don't think we're going to take the whole summer off. She likes school too much for that. So I scheduled a week off after every six weeks. This week is fall break. It's been really nice. She still asks to do some things, so we're keeping up with her favorites- Bible and math. But I'm letting her decide what we do, because she's on vacation. It's nice to give ourselves that luxury and not feel guilty about being behind. It's on the calendar that we're taking a break and has been since we started school. I'm so glad I did that, because it's been quite a change to get used to doing school every day and I was ready for a break even if she wasn't.

2 comments:

Luke Holzmann said...

[smile] "I was ready for a break even if she wasn't."

Isn't that how it is frequently with kids? Or is it just me? [smile]

Have a great week "off"!

~Luke

Kate said...

Excellent! That's the thing about being in charge of your schedule--you get to take off when it works for you. My dad used to call it "mandatory fun" when he made us put down the books and play a computer game (still educational ;) or something else. I think it's important to learn how to take time off--from school, work, everything else in life.